Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Biblical Knowledge Through Osmosis...Who Are We Kidding? The Simple Truth.

Devotion: Genesis 2; Colossians 1:1-23

I am not sure where my mind was this morning. I chose the hottest time of the morning to take a three mile walk where there wasn't any trees to give me shade while I exercised. Now granted, my alarm was set for 6:45 this morning but of course, it only made sense for me to turn that thing off. After all, I'm on vacation. No alarms needed...well so I thought. So as I am walking, I am thinking "I got this". Only until I reached one of two deep hills did it occur to me, can't I take some sort of pill that would have the same effect? I mean...what is the purpose of exercise in the first place? As I get to the halfway mark, my mind ponders of all the ways I can get out of exercising. Can't there be a jogging pill that would miraculously allow me to lose twenty pounds in ten minutes? Or what about jogging in my dreams? That always seems to work while I am asleep. But in reality, I am far removed from that. Then it hit me, just like the genius I think I am, why can't I just sleep with my ten pound weights under my pillow? You know where I am going with this. What about weight loss through osmosis? It makes sense to me. But of course these things never work. Then I am reminded of James 2:17 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." (KJV).

Isn't this how some of us think we will learn the Bible? We often think that biblical knowledge will just hit us in the face while we're driving down I-45 in Houston. And believe it or not, there isn't a quick-fix way of learning, memorizing, or knowing Scripture apart from daily studying the Bible. As I write this blog, my mind reminisce about my days at the University of Tennessee. There were nights when many of us students thought that we could sleep with notes under our pillow and pass the Geology exam the next day. Well, that didn't work either. And I dare not say what grade I got in Geology (sense I am aware that my mother also reads this blog). I'd better just stick with saying that none of these things work!

Scriptures tells us to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV). Now this brings me to where I would like to be with this blog entry. Single ladies, how are we studying to show ourselves approved unto God? What are we doing with our time? It is a true statement that as single ladies, we are able to dedicate more time to the Lord. (Please reference: 1 Corinthians: 7:32-35).  However I am sure that some do not feel this way about their singleness. This is part of the reason why I wanted to start a Christian single women's blog for the rest of us. So let me get back to my original question: Single ladies, how are we spending our time? Are we basking in the richness of God's Word on a daily basis? Or do we think that biblical knowledge will hit us through some deep revelation that we receive from some television show? Not entirely. We are called to hold up the Word of God through our lifestyles. Which also means that in order to know what our lifestyles should be, we must read and study His Word, His instructions for us as singles. And may I state again that we are assured that osmosis in this matter does not work. :)

Here's the simple truth:  If you are struggling to find some quiet time, maybe we as single women can help each other. Consider the following:
*30 minutes of quiet time in the morning before work;
*Going to the park to meditate on a Scripture you are memorizing for the week.
*Going out to dinner with other women and sharing with them the Scripture that has touched you throughout the week.
*Turning off the evening news to focus on a passage of Scriptures. (Now I know what you're thinking...I must watch the evening news Ty. I must.) Well, again, not entirely. If you live in Houston, I'm going to give you the evening news in 2 seconds: someone got robbed, someone got shot, someone did something stupid. That's it. So now you can resume your Bible study.

Lastly, "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (ESV).

In Him, our only Hope: Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us life, health, and the very breath we breathe. Thank You, my Father, for blessing us to fellowship with Your children, to read and study Your Word, and to know You more. Keep us from temptations and from everything that does not glorify You in word or deed. May we be the children who delight in You all the days of our life. Now unto Him who is able to keep us from falling in order to present us unto Himself, unto You be glory forever and ever in Jesus Name. Amen.

Please feel free to share your comments below.

4 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard at your Recap of the Houston News! You are so correct, we need that quiet time. It is imperative to who we are in Christ. Our spiritual life is our LIFE. We must make an effort to make the time. Love you my sister !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my sister for the encouragement. May we always live to please Him.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mrs. Johnson. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for posting this on your fb page. Have a peaceful evening.

      Delete