Thursday, June 16, 2016

Driving forward while looking back. Simple Truth Devotion


“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth until those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14 KJV

Have you ever tried to drive down the street while constantly looking in your rear view mirror? If you have tried this with success, then there is a high probability that you wrecked your car. It is very difficult to do. And if you are anything like me, I get distracted so I must pay attention to the road at all times. I have a small confession to make….there are some driving maneuvers that are difficult for me to task. Let’s face it; I am sure that I am not the only one who struggles to parallel park or back into a space. So, don’t laugh at me just yet. To be honest, when driving we must remain focused on the task set before us. Driving truly does take a lot of skill.

So let us go back to my original question: Have you tried driving down the street while constantly looking in your rear view mirror? I wouldn’t suggest this. Why? Because the rear view mirror is only made for you to see behind you for a few seconds at a time. It isn’t meant for you to constantly be looking through your rear view mirror while driving down the road. Such is life. How often do we try to maneuver the tasks ahead while thinking about our past failures? The Bible states the following:

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” 2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV

So my question for you today: How much time do you spend thinking about your past failures? In other words, how much time do you spend looking in the rear view mirror of your life? Let’s face it…we have all failed at something. I can tell you about the numerous diets I have been on and lost not one meager pound. Failure! The word failure has been misused in so many ways. The word failure is looked at so negatively that there are those super-spiritual people (you know who they are) that do not want you to even mention the word failure. Not all failure is bad. Let me explain. There are some relationships that need to fail as they are not producing fruits of righteousness. There are certain acts that we do that need to fail. Why? Because they are not producing fruits consistent with our walk with Christ. Again, please do not misunderstand my point here.

I want us to take a good look in the mirror and drive the car forward. Do you remember driving school? What is the first thing the teacher taught you? 1. Adjust your mirrors. 2. Look in your rear view mirror. 3. Let’s drive! We must stop looking in the rear view mirror and move the car into the drive position. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus. Philippians 2:5 KJV

Here is the Simple Truth: Let us not get caught up in failed relationships, failed opportunities, failed anything. Some things need to DIE in order for Christ to LIVE and to live richly in us. Besides how do you know that God hasn’t prepared for you a rich, growing, vibrant relationship? How do you know that God hasn’t prepared a new opportunity that will allow you to lead souls to Christ? How do you know whether God isn’t preparing a place for you amongst your enemies, so that you can be a witness? There are countless opportunities, in Christ, when we move forward.

Therefore, my sisters let’s move forward. Let us be busy with the work of Christ while it is yet day. Let us learn from our failures but not bathe in them. Let us be ever willing to trust God for our needs. Let us keep striving and moving forward.

Ladies let us pray.

But before we pray, let me share my desire for all of us. My desire is that our bellies will be full of the living waters that flow from having a deep relationship with Christ.

John 7:38 states, “Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water’”. NJKV

Ladies let us pray:

Our most gracious Heavenly Father. Thank You for Your forgiveness of our sins. Thank You for Your mercy and grace. I pray for each lady that may read this, that she may be touched by these words to move forward in Christ and thus desire a full, growing, and vibrant relationship with You. Thank You for loving us, caring for us, and for sending Your Precious Son for us. I praise Your Holy Name, in Jesus Name. Amen.

 

On a personal note: I want to say thank you. Thank you to those who live in Houston, Texas who encouraged me to start this blog a few years ago. Thank you to those who have stated that you miss my writing. That truly touches my heart. Thank you those who have expressed such joy in reading my post. May God be glorified forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment